

Fairmont State University Faculty Senate

Meeting Minutes

March 16, 2021

3:00-5:00 p.m.

Present: Chuck Shields, Pam Pittman (Jason Noland's proxy), Tom Cuchta, Donna Long, Denice Kirchoff, Gina Fantasia, Raymond Alvarez, Rick Stephens, Robert Niichel, James Matthews, Jan Kiger, Jenn ?, Jim Davis (proxy for Janet Floyd), Molly Barra, Musat Crihalmeanu, Nathaniel Myers, Nina Slota, Paul Reneau, Rachel Cook, Richard Harvey, Siegfried Bleher, Stephen Rice, Stephen Roof, Susan Ross, Tabitha Laferre, Todd Clark, Toru Chiba, Troy Snyder, Lindsey Walck, Amanda Metcalf, Call-in User

- I. Reading & Approval of the minutes from the February 9, 2021 and February 23, 2021 meetings.

Moved and seconded. Approved.

- II. President Martin

Update on 2 bills:

SB 2805 Pierpont and FSU; 13-11 vote and moving to finance committee; will go to vote then; March 31st crossover date.

Campus Carry: originally, HEPC had indicated for universities to stand down; wanted ammo to be taxed; that now has changed; we need to let our legislators know how universities and colleges feel about campus carry; university committees met Friday to discuss; 9 bills moving through; Dr. Martin sent a letter on behalf of the council of presidents to all legislators; shared letter with executive committee of senate, SGA, and faculty/staff; letter asks for legislature not to pass campus carry but have local input on the matter; we do not believe guns belong on campus; this is not a 2nd amendment debate; given current pandemic and associated issues, we do not need guns on campus; staff and students have already proposed and signed letters against campus carry. Should mandate pass, it will be unfunded. Last time we looked at this, it would incur \$3 million cost for campus.

Q: Pierpont reunification: does Board have any plans about what could be done to prevent instability?

Dr. Martin: instability if we reunify or stay apart?

Clarification: can we prevent the state from separating us again?

Dr. Martin: 13 years ago, WV instituted a community college system, and FSU birthed Pierpont; Pierpont continues to use our campus resources even though we were separate and apart; one goal of BoG was for us to separate resources, and we did that in 2019.

Governor's office required us to continue supporting Pierpont even though it was moved off campus. Pierpont uses about 1/3 of each of our buildings. We will do whatever the legislature mandates us to do. We will be protective of their students because they are caught in the middle. Pierpont students were accessing FSU services and were not paying like FSU students were.

Q: will there be issues will accreditation?

Dr. Martin: no issues

### III. Provost Stephens

Will wait until items come up in the agenda and speak to them, considering the lengthy agenda.

### IV. Reports of Officers, Boards and Standing Committees

#### i. BoG Representative, Gina Fantasia

BoG met Feb 18th; Academic Affairs Committee met and approved some of the curriculum proposals pending funding sources; BA Spanish and BA in Communications Art accepted the recommendation to report back in a year; give them opportunity to do real planning for marketing and resources; also approved the Academic Forgiveness policy; athletic affairs asked for a phased plan; bylaws 30 day comment period was over and policies approved; mostly informational things

Comment: when policies are being revised, policies we received for comment included revisions, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore. Is there someone we could ask to do that?

Gina: it does make it easier to see; I am happy to ask that.

Q: Academic Forgiveness policy is this the one brought to senate a year ago?

Gina: I believe so and I asked that question and the answer was yes.

Comment: that policy came from Faculty Welfare.

Comment: I'm guessing that if there were any revisions after it left committee, we would know?

Gina: I will ask.

#### ii. ACF Representative, Jim Matthews

Dr. Martin covered most of the relevant points of my report. Several people have told me that the reunification bill has more initiative than before.

Q: does the bill as introduced have the exemption from HEPC?

Jim: I don't believe it does.

### V. Reports of Ad Hoc Committees

#### COVID Committee

Increase of 19 positive cases at university, particularly athletic teams; contingency planning about commencement and fall, 2021; we all want to be in classrooms, but thinking about fall and what that will look like, we need to prepare. Please let us know if you have issues and concerns. More and more covid issues with ADA; every university is grappling with this. We are in the land of the unknown.

### VI. Student Government Report

No SGA representative

### VII. Unfinished Business

#### Major Items

##### i. Faculty Handbook (tabled at December meeting)

work is ongoing; committee met on Friday with provost Stephens and had discussions with regard to language and other parts of the handbook; we will meet again this Friday; agreed upon timeline for completion of handbook but probably won't be finished by end of semester.

Comment: open forums for faculty - will those be in summer or fall?

Chuck: fall

Comment: correct; administration will review what we propose over summer.

Provost: yes.

- ii. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-09 (second reading)
- iii. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-10 (second reading)  
Only adjustments were course descriptions language.  
Motion for second reading of both proposals. Second.  
Discussion about correct versions. For clarification, the only changes were scribner changes (typos). Language has been cleaned up.  
Approved.

### VIII. New Business

#### Major Items

- i. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-11 (first reading)
- ii. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-12 (first reading)
- iii. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-14 (first reading)
- iv. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-17 (first reading)
- v. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-18 (first reading)
- vi. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-20 (first reading)
- vii. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-21 (first reading)
- viii. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-22 (first reading)
- ix. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-23 (first reading)
- x. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-24 (first reading)
- xi. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-25 (first reading)
- xii. Curriculum Proposal 20-21-26 (first reading)  
Motion for first reading and any proposed amendments for particular ones.  
Second.  
Q: 20-21-11 Spanish Oral Proficiency; is there a similar French requirement?  
A: we no longer have a French major.  
Approved.

#### Minor Items

- i. Resolution in Opposition to Campus Carry Legislation  
In response to President Martin's request, SGA, and Staff Council.  
Motion to adopt resolution as written by executive committee. Second.  
Comment: I support the resolution; once the pandemic is over, anyone in the general public can walk around campus with a firearm. The issue is much broader.  
Q: does the language need to be strengthened?  
A: I think it is fine as is. But broader resolution leaves it open to other issues.  
Comment: Jim Matthews provided contact info for legislators, and President Martin indicated that we should reach out.  
Jim Matthews: yes, everyone should reach out.  
Comment: Do not use institutional email to reach out. You must use your personal email.  
Approved.

### IX. Announcements/Information/Discussion

- i. Provost Search (on going)  
Last candidate finished her forum a couple of hours ago.

Q: could we get all of the survey links again?

A: yes, I'll ask Merri.

Comment: it's important to thank those people in your departments for serving on this search and the panel moderators.

ii. Core Curriculum Director (on going search)

Chuck: the idea is that because of general studies curriculum and the need for assessment in general studies, there needs to be someone in charge and managing that and the assessment of the GS courses. Search committee has been put together; all faculty; Matt Hokum, Sharon Smith, Molly Barra, Janie Leary, and Deneen LaRue. Description of position has been sent out and folks have been encouraged to apply.

Dr. Stephens: the position is not meant to replace any committee, person, chair, etc.; GS is probably our largest program on campus as all students have to move through it. This is a huge job, working with various academic units; multiple levels of assessments, courses, etc. We repurposed \$20k for this position.

Q: how did you come up with the \$20k?

A: partly out of experience - the size of the job that needs to be done could result in a faculty member asking for a 50% course release; also summer - Provost came up with \$6k per semester and Krista rounded to \$20k.

iii. Deans Evaluation

Merri is working on a possible digital format.

iv. Term Contracts

Just an ongoing issue. Faculty Handbook and how it is potentially revising language around term contracts; anyone currently on term contract should be grandfathered. Any news? Updates?

Comment: ongoing discussion in handbook committee. How to define those and what the application is once that definition is agreed upon.

It is not forgotten.

v. Academic Calendar (potential pay period problems)

Anticipating whether there could be potential pay issues. How would pay periods line up with calendars?

vi. Book Store Issues and book costs

Provost Stephens: Cengage did a presentation with provost council in fall, but larger conversation about cost of books and availability of materials; students don't buy because they think they can't afford; hard copy vs digital; lots of moving parts. As long as we have a continuing contract with Follett, there will be new course adoption software. We'll be able to see a whole array of content options. Should not be limited by publisher. We still have a business to run, and FSU gets a cut of bookstore revenue. Are there other ways to help ensure students get what they need? If tuition and fees included books, we saw 75%-80% savings for students. This is based on real data that we have about our students. No decisions have been made about this.

Q: OER would be managed by Follett?

A: you can access OER. I don't believe it would exclude your choosing OER like you're doing now.

C: Marshall University has just created a database of open access textbooks that

we have access to through our state university library consortium. I just left my office, but Sharon Mazure will be sharing the link in the Provost's council scheduled for the beginning of April. I will send the link to the Executive Committee as well. The database currently contains 200 open access textbooks with more to be added.

Comment: does faculty attend to cost of textbooks? I think so. I don't want my students punished because some faculty member across campus isn't paying attention.

Q: do we know how much the average Fairmont State student spends in the bookstore?

A: yes, we do.

Q: When does the University's contract with Follett expire?

A: I don't know for sure but I can find out.

Q: Calculus courses are OER. If there is a fee, could it be waived for some classes that use OER but not others who don't?

A: probably not.

Comment: all good questions. And again, nothing has been decided at this point.

Q: do you anticipate that this will include the bookstore committee?

A: yes

#### vii. Commencement

Provost: lots of discussion about how to implement commencement. The most likely scenario is we have 5 colleges and 5 commencement time periods. There may be an allowance for 2 guests per student. we'll try to do it outside, and it'll probably rain. Limited participation on the platform. Faculty is required to come to their college commencement. ADA exemptions will apply. All of this could change. Big surge in sports covid cases.

Q: is it safe to assume that you're making plans for it to be done with social distancing?

A: yes; masking, social distancing, yes. Hope it doesn't rain.

Q: if covid numbers get worse, then what?

A: we may have to rethink what we do.

Q: So if we see a covid surge, we may have a virtual commencement?

A: I didn't say that.

#### viii. Live Streaming classes

concerns about continuing livestreaming of classes if we return to "normal"; student might use this to skip classes.

Comment: not clear about how and when livestreaming would be used

A: enough "maybe" about fall to anticipate continuance of livestreaming

Comment: concern is that administration will mandate livestreaming regardless of virus

Comment: I would suggest that there be some discussion about this with Faculty Senate

Provost: I do think it is worth a comprehensive conversation about this

Q: is it correct to assume that Provost's email about this that it pertains to the virus?

A: I would say yes.

Provost: This is happening all over the place.

Q: can you give us some institutions that are requiring this?

A: Cal State; larger institutions, particularly where there are large section lectures and MOOCs that's been going on for quite some time.

Comment: And MOOCs have been a universal failure when it comes to actually graduating students.

ix. Library Update

Chuck did follow up with email to Dr. Martin and Dr. Stephens. Dr. Martin responded that all decisions to repurpose any spaces in the library will be done with student welfare in mind and will be discussed with all necessary parties.

Q: can letter be forwarded to library committee chair?

A: Yes

x. FSU/Pierpont Merger

xi. Proposed Syllabus Template

not official; something to bring to Senate for discussion and input; at some point it may be business item

Q: what's the origin of this document?

A: Susan Ross' office

Susan: Academic Affairs once had it as an agenda item; ADA compliance-type elements were a concern; best practices information offered. three elements to consider support of faculty, students, and accreditation. HLC did revise their criterion in 2012. Syllabus template is a source of evidence that courses meet a certain level of rigor. Majority of faculty are already including this. Course policies are important to protect faculty when grievances come about i.e. grades.

Q: are we trying to ensure that all common elements are in syllabi?

A: yes

C: I would suggest that everyone take a look at the copyright notice. Some faculty may not like that.

Q: what was incentive to put intellectual property belonging to Fairmont State? How did copyright notice get in there?

A: I don't know; I didn't write it so I don't know where it came from.

Comment: Current institutional statement is: "Material presented in this course may be protected by copyright law."

Comment: I like that one.

X. Open Forum

Motion to adjourn. Second. Approved. 5:32pm

Next Meeting: April 13 3-5pm

\*If you have items for the agenda please send your request to the Faculty Senate President ([Charles.Shields@fairmontstate.edu](mailto:Charles.Shields@fairmontstate.edu)) by Tuesday morning April 6 2021 for consideration by the Executive Committee.