Every student wanting to reside on-campus must complete a housing application and submit the required damage deposit. There is a no deposit required for summer housing, but an application is required. The contract portion of the application, which is for one academic year, must also be signed and dated by the student and a parent or guardian if the student is under 18 years of age. You can apply online by logging into myCampus, clicking on the housing icon.

Traditionally aged students, attending at least one class on the main campus, are required to live on campus for 4 semesters, unless they apply for and receive an exemption from the Office of Residence Life.

Students can apply for exemption status if:

  • You are legally married and are living with your partner. Include a copy of your marriage license.
  • You are a single parent.  Include a copy of your child's birth certificate.
  • You have documented medical circumstances that cannot be accommodated on campus. Include a letter from your physician on office letterhead.
  • You are a commuter student who lives within a driving distance of 50-miles of the Fairmont campus, and are living in the home of a parent or legal guardian. Included a letter from parent or guardian with a full permanent address.
  • You are twenty-one years of age or older. Include a copy of driver's license or birth certificate to verify age.

How to apply for exemption:

If one of these categories applies to you, and you would like to apply for exemption status, please follow the exemption application steps outlined below!

To apply for exemption:

  1. Log into myCampus and look at the toolbar on the left side. There should be a black housing icon labeled "Housing".
  2. Click on the black housing icon. It will take you to the housing application welcome screen. In the upper left hand corner there are two options- "Home" and "Application". Choose "Application".
  3. "Exemption Application 2013-2014" will be in the list of options. Follow the step by step directions. Do not forget to provide documentation.

If you have questions or you have a special circumstance not outlined above , please call the Residence Life office at (304) 367-4216, or visit our office located in 303 Turley Student Services Center.


For a full refund of the damage deposit, the Office of Residence Life must be notified in writing by May 31st to cancel a reservation for the academic year, and November 30th to cancel a reservation for the spring semester.

Cancellations are only approved for applicants no longer attending Fairmont State or who have received a housing exemption. Cancellations are not approved for any students identified as a residence hall student still attending Fairmont State.

Yes, the damage deposit, paid by each resident upon the submission of the housing application, is fully refundable after the end of the academic year, less any amount needed to cover any damages that have occurred or institutional student account balance. Processing of the refund can take up to one month. Deposits are also refunded if you cancel your housing application prior to the cancellation deadline of May 31st for the upcoming fall semester or November 30th for the spring semester.

Residence halls open the Friday before each semester begins. Students are not able to move into the halls prior to the official opening.

Freshmen are permitted to bring cars to campus. Any resident bringing a vehicle to school is required to obtain a permit. Students can pick up their permit at the beginning of each semester in the Enrollment Services area in the Turley Student Services Center.

Students must provide their own extra long, twin size plastic mattress cover, sheets, pillowcase, and bedspread.

Refrigerators are permitted in individual rooms provided they are no larger than 2.0 cubic feet and are in relatively good condition. (Larger sizes cause electrical difficulties.) Televisions, stereos/radios, clocks, hair dryers/curling irons, iron, and personal computers are also allowed. Electric water heaters and other small food preparation appliances are fire hazards and may be used only in the kitchenettes. Other small appliances are not permitted (i.e., microwave ovens*, toasters, hot plates, coffee pots, etc.) No pets are permitted.

 *Our physical plant has recently approved the use of a MicroFridge unit. This allows students to rent a slightly larger refrigerator as well as a microwave. Learn more about these at MyFridgeRental.com.

No smoking will be permitted in any areas of the residence halls, including private rooms. Smoking areas outside of the residence halls will be designated. Smokeless tobacco is not permitted in public areas of the residence halls.

In compliance with the Higher Education Amendment of 1998, parents or legal guardians of students who are under 21 will be notified in writing if a student is disciplined for disruptive or inappropriate behavior which involved illegal use or possession of alcohol and/or drugs. Alcohol and other drugs are prohibited from all residence halls and apartments.

Residence halls are closed during all vacation periods and rooms must be vacated following the last meal served by the Dining Hall. All residents must vacate the halls during the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Breaks. This includes all students in practicum/internships and student teachers. Refer to the Residence Life calendar for detailed hall closing and opening information. Break housing is available for students, at an additional costs, who require extended housing. They need to speak with the Residence Life Office or their Residence Director for additional information.

Room assignments are for one academic year only–August through May. Students currently living in the residence halls must re-apply for each academic year. All applicants are considered on a first come, first served basis. Current residents are encouraged to apply as early as possible each year for early consideration for housing for the next year.

Current students have the option of rolling their current damage deposit to the upcoming year. However, if a student uses this option, the damage deposit is no longer available to cover any damages for the current year. Students will be required to pay any fees on their account.