- Call 911 or (304) 367-4357 to report the location and size of fire. Always call from a safe location.
- Alert people in the immediate area of the fire and evacuate.
- Confine the fire by closing doors as you leave.
- Activate a fire alarm by pulling on an alarm box on your way out of the building.
- Evacuate the building. Do not use elevators unless directed to do so by authorized emergency personnel.
- Do not re-enter the building until authorized emergency personnel give the “all clear” signal.
- If you notice smoke or fire in your path, use alternative exit routes.
- If heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with the door closed. Consider ways to signal for help, including calling 911 or (304) 367-4357, or signaling from window if possible.
- If possible call (304) 367-4357 to advise authorities you are trapped in the building.
- Report all fires, even those which have been extinguished, to Campus Police at (304) 367-4357.
If you must use a fire extinguisher:
- Pull the safety pin on the grip handle.
- Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the handles all the way together.
- Sweep the extinguisher from side to side.
Nearest fire extinguisher
Note: There are different types of fire extinguishers for use on different types of fires. Familiarize yourself with the type and operation of fire extinguishers in your work area.
HOW TO SURVIVE A BUILDING FIRE:
Know the building. Take time to familiarize yourself with the layout of the building such as:
- Emergency evacuation for your floor
- Locations of all pull stations on your floor
- Locations of all fire extinguishers on your floor
- Crawl if there is smoke. Cleaner air will be near the floor. If you are caught in smoke, get down and crawl on your hands and knees.
- Go to the nearest exit or stairway. If the nearest exit is blocked by fire, heat, or smoke, go to another exit. USE AN EXIT STAIRWAY – DO NOT USE ELEVATOR. If the stairway fire doors are closed, they will keep fire and smoke out and protect you until you are outside. Close doors behind you to confine fire and smoke.
IF YOU ARE ON FIRE:
- Stop, drop, and roll. If your clothes are on fire, stop, drop, and roll wherever you are. Rolling will smother the flames.
- Cool down burns. Immediately use cool water on burns. DO NOT use ointments, butter, or lard. Seek medical attention immediately.
- Periodic unannounced fire drills will be conducted as required by West Virginia State Law. ANY TIME a fire alarm sounds, building occupants must vacate in accordance with instructions given by the proper authorities. Failure to vacate may result in citation, fine, or disciplinary action.
- No staff member shall silence an alarm until after the proper authorities have secured the building.
- All staff members will comply with requests from Campus Police and/or other emergency response. No staff member should enter any area that appears unsafe. Staff priority is to evacuate the building and instruct and assist others to do the same.
- Staff members are required to file an incident report with the proper authorities by 8:00 a.m. the following day.
AFTER A FIRE ALARM:
- No person shall return to the building until directed to by campus officials or the Fire Department.